Blog Archive

This post contains links to products on Amazon. If you purchase items through these links, I receive a small percentage of every sale.

Family Easter Tradition Ideas

No matter how old the kids are, our Family Easter Traditions remain the same! 

The kids look forward to them every year.

I love that we started these traditions when the boys were just babies, after discussing what we wanted Easter to look like for our family.

Our Easter celebrations have been truly magical throughout the years with so much joy and fun!

If you're looking for ideas, we hope you enjoy this post.

Family Easter Tradition Ideas

Family Easter Tradition Ideas


Our Easter celebration is usually two days long.  

We celebrate the secular aspect of the holiday on Saturday with Easter baskets, egg hunts, and more. Our kids call it, "The Day of the Easter Bunny."

The religious aspect of the holiday is celebrated on Sunday. 

I LOVE that we've separated the two.  The holiday is extended, and Easter Sunday is such a special  and sacred day, whether we're able to attend church or not.  

Most of the kids do not believe in the Easter Bunny at our house. Kiddos who don't believe, know everything comes from my husband and I. The one who does believe, chooses to have the Easter Bunny do everything, instead of Mom and Dad.

Easter Baskets


Over the years, Easter baskets have evolved as the kids have grown. Usually I try to pick a theme to make it easier on myself, but sometimes, they're a bit random.

Easter baskets are filled with gifts, similar to those found in my kids' Christmas stockings, but with a little bit more shape options.

Easter Basket for a Toddler
Dinomite's 2nd Easter

Easter Candy


I know some families opt out when it comes to Easter candy, but we're not one of those families.  

Once the kiddos are about 2 years old, we start putting some candy in their Easter baskets.  

I do not give my kiddos candy except on holidays.  It's a VERY special  treat.  

For those with food allergies, I'm make sure they have special treats of their own.  


A Baby's First Easter
Bulldozer's 1st Easter

Easter Eggs


Every year we do an Easter egg hunt.  

Each kiddo has color coded eggs they are to find.  Dinomite's are blue.  Bulldozer's are green.  Princess' are pink.  Sunshine's are purple. 

Most years we end up doing Easter egg hunts inside the house because of the weather.  My husband and I hide them before we go to bed the night before.  

The kiddos always love searching for them first thing in the morning.

It's rare that we hide candy in the eggs. Usually eggs contain tiny gifts or money.

A Baby's First Easter Basket
Princess' 1st Easter
Over the years I've collected different sized eggs to fit a variety of items.  

When the kiddos are little their eggs are usually filled with LEGO duplo pieces, hair accessories, and/or Safari Toob animals.  

As they've grown older we've branched out and included LEGO figures and pieces, princess and fairy figures, Hot Wheels Cars, marbles, jewelry, etc.  

This year, I decided to put cash in their eggs. 

Easter Basket Ideas for Kids

Easter Dress


Each year the kiddos receive new church outfits for Easter.  

The boys receive new ties, pants and matching socks. 

The girls receive new dresses with hair tie to match.  

We also make sure to have our Spring/Summer church shoes purchased before Easter Sunday so they're ready to wear.  

It has become tradition over the past few years that I receive a new matching Sunday dress with accessories, and Jason receives a new matching tie with pants and socks as well.  

Easter Outfits for Kids

Easter Meals


Years ago, before autism, food allergies, foster care, Reactive Attachment Disorder, PTSD, and other disorders entered our lives, I used to host a BIG Easter Dinner for my extended family as part of our secular Easter celebration on the Saturday before Easter.  

All of my siblings came with their significant others and children.  

This hasn't happened since Princess was an infant.  

Perhaps someday it will again, we'll just have to wait and see when and if the kiddos can handle it and a few other circumstances change.

Until then, each year I make a large Easter brunch or dinner.  

Each of the kiddos pick a favorite breakfast item or summer salad/side for me to include in the meal.  Items vary from year to year, but it's always delicious.  

I purchase a bouquet of flowers for our centerpiece, bring out my Easter table clothe & napkins, and set the table according to the needs of those that will be eating.  

Sometimes we've used paper plates, especially when we've had a lot of foster children with us.  Other years we've used our nice dishes.  

For those who don't know me well, I LOVE entertaining.  The one and only thing I collect is tableware.  This includes table clothes, fabric napkins, dinnerware, glassware, etc.  Holidays are my excuse for using all of my favorite things.

Easter Brunch
Our Easter tables throughout the years.

Religious Traditions


In the weeks leading up to Easter, we read a children's version of The New Testament as a family.  This always invites the spirit of the holiday into our home in the most appropriate way.  

Usually we read scriptures as a family at dinner time.  (This is one time during the day we can guarantee that the kiddos are sitting and willing to listen.)  

I also try to put together a Easter related activities for the kiddos that are introduced on family night in our home and used during the week.

We attempt church on Easter Sundays, but on more than one occasion it hasn't been possible.  

If we are at home, we make sure to make the day super special by listening to hymns, singing, and watching movies centered around Christ.  

One of my favorite movies to watch on Easter is called The Lamb of God.  It is a great depiction of the last week of the Savior's life.  I will warn you, it is a very emotional film to watch.  The younger kiddos prefer the movie, The Testaments instead.

Sunshine enjoying her Montessori weaning table on Easter
Sunshine ready for her Easter brunch.

Our holiday is simple, but it has left a lasting impression on our kiddos.  

They understand the fun that can be had during the holiday, but they also understand the sacredness of the event.  

I am so looking forward to Easter Sunday, a day when I can reflect on my Savior's atoning sacrifice for me and that He lives!

What are your family Easter traditions? I'd love to hear about them!

For those who would like to follow our family's journey, be sure to subscribe to our free newsletter by clicking the link below.


If you enjoyed this post, you may also like the resources below.

Easter Themed Activities for Kids Easter Themed Activities for Tots Easter Activities Spring Activities & Free Printables

1 comment:

  1. Love the outfits they looked great. Glad you had a good time

    ReplyDelete